EF SEB LU logo


How do I arrange residence permit?


Valid personal identity document (passport or personal identity card) is sufficient to enter the Republic of Slovenia. Entrants may stay in the territory of the Republic of Slovenia for up to 90 days of their entry in the country, however they are obliged to report the temporary address to the Police or relevant administrative unit (for Ljubljana: Tobačna ulica 5, 1000 Ljubljana).

In the event of exceeding 90 days, residence permit is obligatory. This can be obtained from the administrative office within the residential district (in Ljubljana: Upravna enota Ljubljana (Administrative Unit Ljubljana), Sektor za upravne notranje zadeve (Administrative Internal Affairs Sector), Oddelek za tujce (Department for Foreign Citizens), Tobačna ulica 5, every day during office hours: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Wednesdays 8 a.m. - 7 p.m., and Fridays 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.).

The temporary residence permit will be issued in accordance to the conditions set by the European Union. In order to issue a residence permit to a citizen from a member state for the purpose of study the following conditions have to be met:

  • Valid identity card or a valid passport;
  • Evidence of admission to study;
  • Evidence of appropriate health insurance;
  • Evidence of sufficient funds for subsistence. Signed statement suffices as proof of sufficient funds for subsistence;
  • Personal photo (35 x 45mm).

Copy of the student's passport or identity card must be certified by a notary or at the registry of the Department for foreign citizens. According to the stated directive the residence permit is granted for the period of studies or at the most for one year and can be extended in the event that the studies last for over a year.


  1. The first temporary residence permit for non-EU citizens may be issued after entry into Slovenia under certain conditions stipulated by law to the following foreigners:
    • international students who are lawfully residing in Slovenia on the basis of a valid passport or identity card (where no visa is required), C visa or a valid residence permit issued for study purposes in another EU member state, or D visa issued for study purposes in another EU member state.
  2. Students coming from a country whose citizens are required to obtain a visa in order to enter the Republic of Slovenia and you wish to enter the Republic of Slovenia for study purposes, you are required to obtain a temporary residence permit at a diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Slovenia abroad prior to entering the Republic of Slovenia.
    Who needs a visa to enter the Republic of Slovenia?
    A list of third countries, whose nationals must be in possession of visas for temporary residence, can be found here.
    Where and how do I apply?
    The applicants should submit the application in person at a diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Slovenia abroad prior to entering the Republic of Slovenia. See the list of mission’s aboard here.
    If all conditions are met, the administrative unit will issue a permit for the first temporary residence and send it to the diplomatic mission or a consular post of the Republic of Slovenia, where it will be served upon the applicant. The first permit for temporary residence must be acquired before entering the country, except for extraordinary cases defined by law.
    For first residence permit application you are required to possess the following:
    • Personal photo sized 35 x 45mm showing the real image of the applicant that is made in colour and fit for biometric documents;
    • Two fingerprints;
    • Evidence of admission to study, education, specialisation or professional training in the relevant educational establishments in the Republic of Slovenia;
    • Evidence of appropriate health insurance in the Republic of Slovenia;
    • Evidence of sufficient financial means appr. €400/month:
      • written statement of students` parents that they will support the student with app. €400/month (only for students not older than 26 years old); or
      • sufficient funds in a bank account (students who are older than 26 years have to submit statement from their bank. They should have at least €4800 (12 months × €400) on the bank account; or
      • a certificate of scholarship;
    • Valid passport with validity extending beyond the planned period of residence in the Republic of Slovenia by at least 3 months (a copy is certified by a notary, administrative unit or the registry of the local department – the copy and valid passport is enclosed for inspection);
    • Police clearance certificate not older than three months issued by the home country (if the country in question issues it), translated into Slovenian, and certified (please contact Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Service if you do not know how to certify your police clearance. Phone: +386 1 478 2305, email: konzularne-zadeve.mzz@gov.si, website).

A permit in the form of a label and a stamp will be added in the passport. Students are required to report the place of temporary residence within three days of their arrival to Slovenia to:

Upravna enota Ljubljana (Administrative Unit Ljubljana)
Oddelek za tujce (Department for Foreign Citizens)
Address: Tobačna ulica 5, 1000 Ljubljana
Office hours: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Wednesdays 8 a.m. - 7 p.m., and Fridays 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Fax: 00 1 306 32 02
Phone: 00 1 306 30 00
Email: ue.lj-sunz@gov.si

We also recommend you to check the following websites:
Ministry of foreign affairs Republic of Slovenia
Ministry of the interior, portal Information for foreigners

Office hours


    Office hours and communication with students will take place only by e-mail through the colleagues of the Student Affairs Office.There will be no office hours at the school until 31 May 2021.

Info call centre

  • Monday-Friday:
    from 9:00am to 10:00am
  • and 1:00pm to 2:00pm


Additional links:

To top of page